31 August 2013

Striped Letters

Since this year I'll be living in an apartment on campus, I decided to make cute letters for each of my roommates to put on our bedroom doors! 

I got the letters at Hobby Lobby as well as the acrylic paint and paint brushes. The total project was about $10. The tape I found at home, if not you could find it at basically any store like Walmart, Target, and Walgreens

1//Make sure all of the stickers are off of your letter (I accidentally painted over one and had an interesting time getting it off.)


2//Paint the entire letter white. Including the sides, but not the back. I would suggest at least two coats. Let the first coat dry before applying the second one. Also, paint the same direction, it makes the finished product look neater. 


3// Take your masking tape and tape your entire letter vertically, then remove every other piece of tape. This way you get equal sized stripes.After this press down on the edges of the tape so that paint doesn't leak onto the white


4// Paint the non-taped parts (painting the same direction). Sometimes you need two coats depending on the color. Make sure you paint the sides too!

5// Once the paint has dried, peel off the tape and look at your new letter! You might need to make some touch ups, which I would recommend a small brush for!

The Finished Product! They really brighten up our apartment:)
We used sticky puddy to hang them, but Command Strips would work also!
A room post to come soon!
Happy crafting

xoxo
aVe

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! I think I'm going to check out Hobby Lobby. I've heard so many good things but have never actually checked it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love Hobby Lobby, it's a great place to waste some time!

    ReplyDelete